Last updated May 14 , 2021
Table of Contents
Hiveclub is a new type of social network based on voice — where people around the world come together to talk, listen, and learn from each other in real-time. It’s a place to meet with friends and with new people to tell stories, ask questions, debate, learn, and have impromptu conversations.
With no camera on, you don’t have to worry about eye contact, what you’re wearing, or where you are. You can talk on Hiveclub while you’re folding laundry, taking a walk, commuting, or working on your couch in the basement. Instead of typing something and hitting Send, you’re engaged in a back-and-forth dialogue with others. The intonation, inflection, and emotion conveyed through voice allows you to pick up on nuance and form uniquely human connections with others.
The thing we love most is how voice can bring people together. To protect that, we take your privacy seriously and only use personal information to make Hiveclub work well for you.
Our Privacy Principles
- Our App is designed to allow you and others to use your voices to interact with each other in real time.
- We use personal information to provide our services, to communicate about existing and new Hiveclub features with you, and to comply with our terms and applicable laws.
- We do not sell personal information.
- To create a safe environment on the App, we may record conversations and use the recordings to investigate violations of our or We generally prohibit the recording of conversations in our rooms without speakers’ and participants’ explicit authorization.
Personal Information We May Collect
Here’s an overview of the information we collect when you interact with our App, and examples of how we use the specific types of information. We may collect:
- Account data,such as your first and last name, organization name, email addresses, phone number, profile picture, and user name.
- Your contacts’ phone numbers (if you choose to authorize this). To help users connect with people they know, we offer them the option to invite friends to join them on Hiveclub. To take advantage of this feature, users can opt in to share phone numbers from their address book or add phone numbers manually.
- Names of friends you choose to invite to join you on the App.
- Conversations that moderators and speakers have in Hiveclub rooms. ****We temporarily record the audio in a room while the room is live. These conversations are deleted unless a user reports a Trust and Safety violation while the room is active. In those cases, we encrypt and retain the audio for the purposes of investigating the incident, and then delete it when the investigation is complete. We only record what can be heard in a room; we never record audio data from (i) muted speakers/moderators and (ii) listeners/audience members.
- Interests, usage, and connections, including information about your interests (if you choose to add them) and how you use the App, such as the types of Hiveclub conversations you engage in, content you share, features you use, actions you take, people or accounts you interact and connect with, and the time, frequency, and duration of your use.
- Communicationsthat we exchange with users when they contact us with questions or feedback, including feedback about interacting with other users.
- Device data, such as device IP address (and derived location), device name and operating system, browser type and settings, telecommunications provider, operating system, the date and time of App use, interactions with the App, and the time, frequency, and duration of the interactions.
How We Use Personal Information
We use personal information to:
Provide our services via the App, including to:
- Invite you to our App and manage the App waitlist;
- Operate the App and our business;
- Maintain and improve the App and the App’s features;
- Create and maintain your account;
- Facilitate network connections;
- Recommend rooms, users to follow and clubs that might be of interest to you;
- Notify you when one of your contacts has joined the waitlist or the App;
- Engage Stripe to process your transactions with other users or with us;
- Communicate with you about the App by sending you push notifications with announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages, if you have enabled that functionality; and
- Provide support for the App, and respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
Research and development. We may create and use de-identified information for our business purposes, including to analyze the effectiveness of our App, to improve and add features to our App, and to analyze the general behavior and characteristics of users of our App.
Support and Maintenance. We use third party analytics services to automatically log certain information about your mobile device and how you interact with the App. The information collected is used to troubleshoot and prevent errors, perform data analysis, and develop new features.
Compliance and protection. We may use personal information to:
- Protect our, your, or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- Enforce the terms of service that govern the App;
- Enforce our by investigating user reports of Trust and Safety violations using the audio recording collected as described above;
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- Prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft; and
- Comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
How We Share Personal Information
We do not sell personal information. In the ordinary course of business, we may share personal information with:
Service providers. Companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate the App or our business (such as hosting, analytics, customer support, email and SMS delivery).
Professional advisors. Professional advisors, such as lawyers, auditors, bankers, and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Authorities and others. Law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary to: (a) protect our, your, or others’ rights, privacy, safety, or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and condition that govern the App; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity.
Acquirers and other relevant participants in business transactions (or negotiations for such transactions) involving a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale, or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, Hiveclub or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
How You Share Information on Hiveclub
Public. When you establish an account on Hiveclub, you share certain of your profile information with the Hiveclub community on our App and on the web. This information includes your profile picture, bio, name, username, the handles of social media accounts you connect to Hiveclub, the list of users you follow and those that follow you, the date you joined Hiveclub, the friend who nominated you, Hiveclub events to which you have RSVPd, and the clubs in which you participate.
Hiveclub users. Hiveclub users with whom you have some affiliation may receive notifications about actions you take on the platform, such as joining clubs or rooms. You may also choose to authorize other users to record your Hiveclub conversations.
Disconnect social media accounts.
When you connect your social media accounts to Hiveclub, we notify those platforms. You may disconnect your social media accounts directly on the App at any time.
Other Sites and Apps
The App may contain links to websites and other online services operated by third parties. In addition, our content may be integrated into web pages or other online services that are not associated with us. These links and integrations are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. We do not control websites or online services operated by third parties, and we are not responsible for their actions.
You use the App at your own risk. We implement commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and organizational measures to protect personal information both online and offline from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via the App or e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any personal information to us via the Internet. In addition, we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the App, or third party websites. Finally, we cannot control the actions of users on the platform, who may seek to use third party apps or devices to record, store, or share content or communication without other users’ prior consent. Please keep this in mind when using the App.
The App is not intended for use by children under 18 years of age. If we learn that we have collected personal information through the App from a child under 18 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian as required by law, we will delete it.
How to Contact Us
You can reach us by submitting a support request or sending a letter to the following mailing address:
272 Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G2 4JR
Notice to California Residents
We are providing this supplemental privacy notice to Consumers in California, pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
We do not sell personal information.
The CCPA grants California residents the following rights:
- Access. You can request a copy of the personal information that we maintain about you.
- Deletion. ****You can ask to delete the personal information that we maintain about you.
The CCPA limits these rights. For example, companies may not provide users in response to access requests certain sensitive information and other consumers’ personal information, and may exclude information that would compromise the confidentiality of trade secrets. The CCPA also places limits on when companies must comply with a deletion request.
In accordance with the CCPA, Hiveclub will not provide the following information in response to access requests for the reasons described:
- Account data such as account passwords and identity verification codes, unmasked phone numbers, or email addresses, because of the sensitive nature of this information.
- Other users’ and employees’ personal information, including the names and account information of individuals who may have invited you to the App, other users’ feedback, and employees’ comments because it is information that belongs to another natural person and disclosing it may impact their rights.
- Internal proprietary attributes that enable us to provide various aspects of our App, including channel and room customization, suspension decisions, and content suggestions, because it is protected by federal and state trade secret law.
- Server logs that are older than 30 days because we use these to ensure the security and integrity of our App.
You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination.
Here is how you can submit requests:
- To request access to or deletion of personal information collected, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a request.
- To verify your identity prior to responding to your requests, we may ask you to provide us with your phone number so we can send you a verification code, or with other details that we may need to verify your identity.
- Authorized agents. California residents can empower an “authorized agent” to submit requests on their behalf. We will require authorized agents to confirm their identity and authority, in accordance with the CCPA.
Notice to European Data Subjects
We are providing this supplemental privacy notice to European data subjects, pursuant to European data protection laws (“GDPR”).
Controller and Representative. Hiveclub is responsible for how your personal data is handled. This means we are the controller of your personal data under the GDPR. You can find our contact information in the how to contact us ” section above.
Our representatives in Europe are:
- EEA and Switzerland: VeraSafe Ireland Ltd., Unit 3D North Point House, North Point Business Park, New Mallow Road, Cork, T23AT2P, Ireland.
- UK: VeraSafe United Kingdom Ltd., 37 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TL, United Kingdom.
You may contact these representatives at https://verasafe.com/public-resources/contact-data-protection-representative.
Personal Data We Collect From You and How We Use It. You can read about the personal data we collect from you in the “Personal Information We May Collect” section above, and how we use it in the “ section above.
Justification for Data Processing. European data protection law sets out a list of justifications on which companies may rely to process personal data, and requires companies to explain to consumers the specific justifications for the company’s data processing activities. Hiveclub generally relies on one of the following justifications to process personal data:
- Contractual Necessity: To provide you with the App in accordance with our terms of service .
- Legitimate Interests: Where it is necessary for our legitimate business purposes, your interest or the interests of a third party.
Provision of some of this data is necessary to establish an account on Hiveclub.
Recipients of Data. We may disclose your personal data to the recipients described in the
” section above.
Retention of Data. We keep your personal data for as long as you have a Hiveclub account. To protect the safety and security of our users, your personal data will be retained for a reasonable period of time following account deletion. We temporarily record the audio in a room while the room is live. If a user reports a Trust and Safety violation while the room is live, we retain the audio for the purposes of investigating the incident, and then delete it when the investigation is completed. We may delete the data by anonymizing it so it can no longer be associated with a user.
To determine the appropriate retention period for your personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Storage. We are based in the United States and rely on cloud storage providers that store user data on our behalf in the United States. The United States may have data protection laws less stringent than or otherwise different from the laws in effect in Europe. We have taken measures to protect the confidentiality and security of your personal data, and your rights as a data subject.
Your Rights. The GDPR grants European data subjects the following rights:
- You can request a copy of the personal data that we maintain about you. If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Deletion and Correction. You can ask us to delete or correct the personal data that we hold about you.
- You may have the right to object to how we use your personal data.
- Restrict Processing. You may ask us to suspend our processing of your personal data, for example, if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Data Portability. If required to do so, we will give you your personal data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format.
To exercise these rights, please email email@example.com You may also contact our representative using the contact information referenced in the “ controller ” section above. You also have the right to complain to a data protection authority in your country about our processing of your personal data.